#coffee #wine #communion #family #adoption

Saturday, October 1, 2016

My Dad, My Father

I started some home improvement projects last month.  One Saturday morning, my oldest son and I went to Home Depot to get some materials for a ceiling project.  First we stopped for breakfast.  When I went to pay, my bank card was declined.  I checked my online banking.  An unexpected automated bill had been withdrawn, and I was all the way broke till Tuesday. 

The cashier accepted what cash I had, even though it was four dollars short.  We drove to Home Depot, I parked, and I pulled out my cell phone.  I texted my dad, asking if he could cover me until payday.  I hit send.  I looked up.  And my dad was standing there.  Right in the parking lot of Home Depot.

He was standing there, right in front of my eyes, right when I needed him.

Of course he'd cover me.  Of course he would.

So I said thanks,  and since he was on his way out of the store, I said I'd see him later.  He said he'd just walk back in with me, to make sure I got what I needed.  I said he didn't have to.  He said he knew that. 

I gathered all of my materials, and met him at the front.  He took a quick look in my cart.  Nope, those screws won't work.  You're going to need a different adhesive.  You'll want to grab some of those other boards.

So everything that I thought I needed, I didn't.  Everything I forgot, he remembered.  Perfect.

After we got all of the correct materials, I told my dad goodbye, and I said thank you.  Again.  I said I'd see him at home.  He said that he'd stick around until we got the van loaded.  I said he didn't have to.   He said he knew that.

We made our purchase, with his money, and began loading the materials into the van.  The boards were too long for the van by about four inches.  My son and I tried every which way to make them fit, but it wasn't happening.  My dad approached the van, saw our struggle, and he said he'd get his truck.

Of course he would.

He loaded all of my things.  All of the things that he made sure that I had.  They fit just right in his truck.  He pulled out of the parking lot first, and I followed him.  I followed him all of the way home, literally watching him carry my load, with humility in my heart, and tears in my eyes.

My dad on earth.  My Father in Heaven. 

When I am in a bind, my dad and my Father are standing there, right before my eyes.  When I make the wrong choices,  He makes them right.  When I can't carry the load, He carries it for me.

Dad.  Daddy.  Father.  Rescuer of bank accounts, one who helps me when I am clueless, He who carries my burdens.  My dad.  My Father.  Always there, no matter where.




No comments:

Post a Comment